FAQs About On-Campus Pre-College Program Check-In

Whether you’re coming from down the street or have to cross multiple time zones to get here, check-in day is an important part of your Pre-College on-campus experience. Taking place the Sunday before courses begin for each session, check-in is when you’ll become acquainted with campus, hear from your program director and get your residence hall room key and Brown ID.

To make sure you’re prepared for your on-campus arrival, Program Services Coordinator Kathy Kirk answered the most commonly asked questions about the check-in process.

Sayles Hall
Andrews Dining Hall

Where do I go when I get to campus?

Check-in for Summer@Brown (including courses for English Language Learners), Brown Leadership Institute, Berklee-Brown Creative Entrepreneurship Summer Program, Pre-Baccalaureate, and BELL: Rhode Island takes place at Sayles Hall on the Main Green (75 Waterman St. for GPS guidance). Check-in for STEM I and STEM II takes place at Andrews Dining Hall at the Pembroke Campus (95 Cushing Ave.)

What time should I arrive?

The earlier, the better. Check-in for most programs runs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., except for BELL: RI, which runs from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. before a bus arrives to bring students to the program site at noon. Check-in is a lively, celebratory event, complete with lots of important information about your program and on-campus activities and plenty of staff on hand to point you in the right direction. The last thing you want to do is have to rush around and miss out on any of the day’s events. That said, if travel prevents you from arriving on time, contact Program Services to make sure you get all the information you need upon arrival.

How do I get to campus?

Consider taking an Uber or taxi, even if you stay in Providence the night before. The walk to campus might look like a short distance, but Brown is located at the top of a hill, which can make walking difficult, particularly if you are transporting baggage. If you plan on driving to campus, parking on the street is first come, first served and city rules are not in effect on Sundays.

What should I wear?

Dress comfortably, including walking shoes, as you’ll likely do a fair amount of navigating campus by foot during the day, particularly if you decide to take part in a tour, which is recommended.

Check-in tables located under the blue tents in front of Sayles Hall.

What is the first thing I do when I get to the check-in location?

Head to the check-in table, where staff will be on hand to answer any questions you might have about the day and to make sure your enrollment is complete. If you have any paperwork outstanding, you’ll be asked to complete it at that time. Once your check-in is complete, you’ll be directed to pick up your residence hall assignment, keys and ID. Course information, including your course location, will also be provided.

What’s next after I get my keys?

That’s up to you. Guided tours of campus and presentations by program directors will be taking place throughout the day, with schedules for both available at check-in. You can opt to head to your residence hall right away and then come back to the Main Green to take part in tours and talk to program representatives or vice versa. It’s also a good time to head to the Brown Bookstore to pick up any textbooks or other materials you might need for your courses.

I need to rent a fan. Where do I go?

Brown Student Agencies handles summer services, including a laundry program, and fan and linen rentals. They will have a table set up at check-in where you can sign up for anything you might need. For linen rentals, we advise submitting your order online in advance and everything you need will be waiting for you.

How do I learn more about extracurricular activities I might be interested in?

There will also be tables set up with information about low-cost gym memberships available especially for Pre-College students, as well as about the Guidebook app, which includes a complete schedule of activities, sports, workshops, and events taking place during your stay on campus.

When will I get a chance to explore campus?

Forty-five-minute guided tours will be taking place throughout the day. Led by students, they’ll take you by key spots on campus and share interesting tidbits about some of Brown’s buildings and landmarks so you’ll be well-acquainted come class time on Monday.

What do I do with my bags while I’m walking around?

If you don’t want to head to your residence hall right away, a staff member can direct you to the luggage storage area at check-in where you can keep your bags until you’re ready to bring them to your room.

Where can my family and I eat?

You have the option of bringing your family to the dining hall for lunch (your Brown ID will get you in, while your family can pay with cash or card). Additionally, the Blue Room in the Campus Center will also be open and there are several dining options down on Thayer Street.

Can my parents spend the day with me?

Parents should plan to say goodbye to students by 2:30 p.m. Students will have plenty to do to keep them busy in the evening, including program orientation, an activities fair and residence hall orientation, and they’ll also want to have time to start getting to know their roommate and the other students they’ll be spending time with during their Brown Pre-College Program.

One Comment Add yours

1. Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful
    post. Thank you for supplying these details.