Feel free to ask current members about their animal experience/interests!
Hear from past members! ~~~~~~~~~~~
Miranda Norlin ’17
- Goats (raised two kids and trained them to be working goats)
- I work in the Robert’s lab with turkey muscles.
- I’ve worked for a number of years as a vet tech (fill in for people when I go home and over the summer) in a mixed clinic.
Zelda Blowers ’17
- For my UTRA project this summer I helped collect data on a maternity colony of Mexican free-tailed bats in New Mexico and found an efficient system to count the 1.5-2 million individuals emerging each night!
- I also work in Jim Simmons’ bat lab and help train large brown bats
- I’m interested in the relationship between humans, animals (both wild and domestic) and the environment
- I’ve shadowed my local vet during breaks and I plan on getting more involved with a wildlife/exotic vet or pre-vet internship this summer
Trang Le ’18
- I participated in the Adventures in Veterinary Medicine at Tufts Cummings School of Vet Medicine, feel free to ask about the application process and the details of the program!
- I am also working in the Roberts’ Lab with turkey muscles.
- I volunteered at the Providence Animal Rescue League (PARL) all last year. I can’t do it this semester because I’m so busy but I’m hoping to get back into it next semester.
- I work at the Wheeler School teaching Marine Biology in the fall and Animal Behavior in the spring.
- I work in the Animal Care Facility with Jackie and Colette (but there’s not much interaction with animals unfortunately).
- Over the summer,
- I volunteered at my local zoo; I worked with farm animals (goats, sheep, chickens, etc.), camels, emu, deer, turkeys, reptiles, and many more.
- I volunteer at my local animal shelter back home. I also interned under the vet techs there as well. I know a decent amount about shelter medicine if that’s something that interests anyone.
- I work at a local Pet Supplies Plus chain, where I work with small animals (guineas, hamsters, rats, ferrets, etc.), reptiles (skinks, snakes, lizards, etc.), birds, and fish.
- I plan on working at each of these places over the winter break as well.
Celia Megdal ’15
Hey guys! I would love to talk to any of you about these things!
- I spent a summer working in South Africa at a rehabilitation center for orphaned Chacma Baboons. Worked and lived in the South African bush at the Centre For Animal Rehabilitation and Education (which is an absolutely amazing organization).
- I now work in the Simmon’s Bat Lab and train Big Brown Bats everyday.
- I spent two summers interning at at small wildlife center near my house working with over 60 different species! (The Wildlife Learning Center in Sylmar, California)
- I spent last summer externing at my local small animal Veterinarian in Los Angeles, California. (VCA McClave Animal hospital)
Mary Doerr ’15
Ask me about:
- the importance of good mentoring
- recovering from academic imperfection
- MSU (or michigan in general)
- ~~ oncology ~~ (probably the single thing here I know most about)
- zoos and zoo medicine
- being a vet tech
- working in a corporate small-animal/exotic veterinary hospital (VCA)
- why scrubs should be socially acceptable everyday attire