One of the goals of our group was to build relationships with each other, which served as the inspiration for these profile posts. Thanks to Stephanie Obodda for creating the profile template and Gillian Bell for being our first submitter! If you’re interested in submitting a profile of yourself, comment below and I will send you the template.

Name / Department / Title

Gillian Bell / CIS / Academic Technology Project Manager

Briefly describe your role at Brown.

I work with instructional designers and technologists to organize their work with faculty and collaborate with others in CIS to communicate about Brown’s academic technology services, producing videos, case studies, and reports.  I also lead larger projects, like the implementation of Google Apps for Education, the roll-out of our closed captioning system for online courses and media, and the development of online Title IX training for Brown’s Graduate Students.

How did you get into technology?

I went to school for painting and creative writing – very non-techy.  I started blogging in the early 2000’s and learned basic HTML, but my interest was in writing, not technology-I didn’t even have a cell phone until 2005.

I got a temporary job in CIS as a project coordinator which lead me to IT Project Management as a profession-I always joke that I came to Brown for the health insurance but stayed because I love the people and the environment.

What’s one of your favorite websites or apps?

I have so many apps on my phone, it’s ridiculous.  I love podcasts, so the native podcast app on my iPhone probably gets the most use.  On a recent trip to Copenhagen I had fun playing around with Google Translate and used it to write magnetic poetry in Danish!  

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I just started playing keyboard in a band called Soft Animal.  We met at Ladies Rock Camp and currently have an impressive repertoire of three songs.  I love spin class, binge watching (I try to keep a balance of creepy and heartwarming, so I’ll watch an episode of Black Mirror and follow it with an episode of Friends) and planning vacations with my partner.